The Board of Directors of Satilla RiverWatch Alliance, Inc., seeks an outgoing professional to serve as Satilla Riverkeeper® and Executive Director (RK/ED). The RK/ED is responsible for both the business matters of the organization and its environmental action. The RK/ED answers to the Board of Directors and is expected to live somewhere in the watershed. The job involves a normal workweek plus several events per year that occur in evenings or on weekends, including river paddles, fundraisers, workshops, and community outreach events.
To accomplish the mission, the RK/ED must establish rapport with the general public and policy makers throughout the watershed, industry environmental professionals, environmental agency personnel, potential funding organizations, and partners throughout Georgia and beyond, including the Georgia Water Coalition, the Georgia River Network, Georgia Coast Collaborative, and other Riverkeepers. These various bodies bring diverse points of view to a given issue.
- Degree in natural, physical, or behavioral sciences;
- Advanced degree, or relevant experience with an environmental nonprofit, agency, consulting firm, or law firm;
- Experience with complex issues that require organizational effectiveness and attention to detail.
- Socially confident and empathetic, able to engage and influence a variety of stakeholders, community, and staff; and to anticipate unique needs of different audiences;
- Networking and other ability to build community and collaborative relationships;
- Excellent oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills;
- Fundraising and community organizing abilities;
- Skilled with current and emerging electronic media and communication methods.
- Familiarity with personal computer and online tools, including word processing, spreadsheets, member database management, and bookkeeping software.
- Experience with environmental field measurements, evidence evaluation, and data interpretation;
- Ability to deploy and operate a small boat on the river;
- Ability to work year-round in the southeastern Georgia environment.
- Driver’s license and independent transportation;
- Able to lift 40 lbs.
- Ability to supervise staff, temporary interns, and volunteers.
- Willingness to work various annual and quarterly events that occur on weekends and evenings.