The Department of Marine and Environmental Sciences at Savannah State University invites applicants for a full-time tenure track faculty appointment as Assistant Professor of Marine Sciences starting as soon as possible. The faculty member will be expected to be an effective and dedicated educator willing to contribute to academic and research mentoring, scholarly activities, student success activities, program and curriculum development, and institutional service. The candidate will be expected to establish an active, externally funded research program relevant to quantitative marine ecology. The ideal candidate will contribute to instruction of courses within their field of expertise and research tools courses such as Environmetrics, Technical Writing, Fisheries Population Dynamics, or Remote Sensing. Applicants with strong quantitative skills will be given special consideration. The successful candidate will engage undergraduate and master’s degree students in research. The Department of Marine and Environmental Sciences offers Bachelor of Science degrees in marine sciences and environmental science, as well as a thesis-based MS in marine sciences. The department is housed in 3 buildings including two marsh-front properties with docks, multiple vessels, wet labs, and research facilities. More program information can be found at www.savannahstate.edu/marinescience. Course descriptions are available in the catalogs and in the Master of Science in Marine Sciences Graduate Student Handbook. The position will remain open until filled.
- Engage in effective course delivery to include lab, in-person, and potential hybrid and online formats, with teaching load assigned per the faculty handbook
- Establish an active research program engaging SSU students
- Mentor MS thesis and senior research internship projects
- Engage in student success activities within and beyond the classroom, including student mentoring
- Develop grant proposals to secure extramural funding
- Participate in marine science curriculum development
- Perform program assessment as assigned
- Serve on USG, SSU, COST, department, and/or program committees
- Participate in university, college, and departmental ceremonial, recruitment, and outreach events
- May be required to perform job related duties other than those specifically delineated in this position
- Relevant Ph.D. from an accredited institution conferred prior to the employment start date.
- Ph.D. in Marine Science, Oceanography, or Marine Ecology
- Postdoctoral training and/or teaching experience
- Research interests in quantitative marine ecology